Questions & Answers
Does Squirt lube degrade over time or does it have a long shelf life in excess of 3 years?
Squirt should last well over three years. With every batch we manufacture a sample is put on long term stability testing - these are stored at temperatures between 5 and 35 °C. We have samples that had been stored for over ten years that are still unaffected and usable. Temperature extremes might affect the emulsion though - if it freezes or is exposed to temperatures well over 35°C for extended periods it tends to thicken. This can be rectified by adding a little water and shaking it up - the wax does not lose it’s lubricating properties.
How do I apply Squirt lube?
Squirt Chain Lube is a bio-degradable wax based lubricant designed for bicycle chain lubrication in all weather conditions. Preparation and application are crucial to achieving the maximum benefits out of Squirt Chain Lube’s unique wax formula. Please read and follow the instructions below to achieve the best results and efficiency. Factory grease, old lube or oil are sticky and prevent Squirt Chain Lube from penetrating into the cavities between the chain pins, rollers and plates where it is needed to do its lubricating job. Other lubes and factory grease can also have a chemical reaction with the waxes in Squirt Chain Lube, limiting their efficiency and leaving a black residue.
- We advise degreasing a new, out of the box, chain completely.
- There are various ways to degrease depending on the stickiness of the factory grease, old chain lube or oil, but soaking the chain in a container with a degreaser or mineral spirits should work.
- After degreasing it is imperative to clean off all degreaser thoroughly, and rinse properly a few times.
- Allow the chain to dry completely.
- Apply Squirt Chain Lube to the rollers on the inside of the chain.
- Apply Squirt Chain Lube liberally to the chain. Don't wipe it off, and let it dry completely before your ride.
- Never degrease again, just use a dry brush once in a while.
- Even when you wash the bike, don't degrease the chain. Let it dry, apply a new coat, and allow the wax to build up in the links, and you will have better shifting, no chain suck, and much longer drive train life.
- We suggest that you apply a thin stream on the inside of the chain as you rotate the cranks backwards.
- Allow a few minutes for the chain lube to penetrate into the gaps between the pins, plates and rollers, and then wipe the outside of the chain with a rag, taking most of the remaining chain lube off.
- Let the Squirt Chain Lube dry properly.
- In the event of the chain on a road bike going a bit black (soft rubber residue on some tar roads), still don't degrease. Only use Squirt Bike Cleaner (not as a concentrate but diluted to bike wash) to wash lightly. Dirt will generally not stick to dry Squirt Chain Lube, and the little bit that may, will eventually flake off with the lube.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR CHAIN AND APPLY SQUIRT LUBE
Chris Davidson from the Mechanic Timex multi-sport team demonstrates how to clean your chain using Bio-Bike bike cleaner and lube your chain using Squirt sport lube.
WHAT IS THE THE MOST EFFICIENT RACE-DAY LUBE?
Independent laboratory test results from over 55 different cycling chain lubricants. The goal is to find the most efficient race-day lube. View Velo Lab chain lube test article.(pdf file)
WILL SQUIRT LUBE WORK ON A MOTORCYCLE CHAIN?
Squirt lube does not contain organic solvents that could affect the O/X-ring. It’s a plain wax in water emulsion. It has been used on motorcycle chains and works well - it also has less fling-off. You could use it in the oiler system but will have to be aware that the lube is not allowed to freeze before application, which thickens it.